June 5, 2011
Who doesn’t love Mexican food? Personally, I am obsessed with it. Especially in the summertime.
This fresh soup is the perfect start to any Mexican meal . The only thing that might make it better is a Margarita.
Green Chicken Stew
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans white beans
- 1 tablespoon evoo
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 medium poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 4 cups home-made chicken broth
- 2 limes, juiced, plus lime wedges, for serving
- Four cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Greek yogurt, for topping
- Tortilla chips, coarsely crushed, for topping
Drain and rinse the canned white beans. Reserve the beans until needed.
Add the canola oil to a large Dutch oven and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, onions, and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season the vegetables with salt, and pepper, to taste. Add the cumin, coriander, and chili powder and continue to saute for 1 more minute to toast the spices. Stir in the chicken stock, and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and continue to simmer for 20 more minutes.
After 20 minutes of simmering, taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary. Stir in the shredded chicken and cilantro and simmer until heated through, about 5 more minutes. Serve the chili in individual bowls topped with a dollop of greek yougurt, crushed tortilla chips, and lime wedges.
Recipe adapted from The Neelys.