I have to admit. When I saw the #SundaySupper topic was Autumn Apple Party, I thought I might skip this week. I couldn’t think of one dish I’d ever made with apples…and I don’t think dipping them in peanut butter counts.
However, after a bit of thought, I decided to accept the challenge and go outside my comfort zone and try something new. I thought about applesauce or pork chops with apples, but most of the ideas that came to mind were already accounted for. So, while searching on my favorite recipe website, I stumbled upon this apple salad served in endive and thought not only did it sound tasty, but it’s a great appetizer. You don’t need utensils and it can be enjoyed in just one, or two, bites.
I tested this recipe on my co-workers earlier this week and it went over okay. I didn’t follow the recipe to a “t,” and eye-balled everything and it turned out a little too blue-cheesy and mayonnaise-y. The also didn’t have endive at the Farmer’s Market (well, they had a sign that said “endive” but the lettuce underneath was not endive) so I served it over chopped red lettuce. It was “eh.”
I made it again last night and followed the recipe almost verbatim (put a little less blue cheese and added pepper) and it came out absolutely delicious — and I found endive at Kroger, whew! Such a gorgeous presentation and still a hit with the guys that came over to watch football. Will definitely make again!
P.S. In my hunt for apple recipes, I found an amazing one for apple butter. It may have taken 14 hours to prepare, but it was worth the wait. I will be sharing that recipe soon!
Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad
- 1 large Gala apple, cored and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- ¼ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 celery stalks,chopped
- 3 Tbs. light mayo
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 “head” of endive, leaves separated 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
In a medium bowl, combine the apple, blue cheese, celery, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To assemble, mound a small spoonful of the apple mixture onto the core end of each endive leaf. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts and serve.
Here’s our Autumn Apple Party Menu from members of the #SundaySupper community!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Autumn Harvest Homemade Apple Sauce – Brie’s Bites
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel – Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!