August 6, 2012
I’ve started preparing lunch for the ladies in the office, for a nominal fee, and this was a hit last Monday. The egg whites and cottage cheese make it so light and fluffy, but all the protein keeps you satisfied until lunch times A vegetable soup (I made Cream of Tomato) or side salad rounds it out to a light and yummy #MeatlessMonday lunch.
For you Weightwatchers members out there, this recipe slices into 10 servings and at just 3 points a serving, you don’t feel guilty about diving into this healthy twist on a breakfast casserole!
- 1.5 cup egg whites (I used egg white substitute)
- 3 large eggs
- 1.5 cups shredded, reduced-fat cheddar
- 1.5 cups shredded, Mexican-blend cheese
- .5 cup 1% milk
- .5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- .5 tsp salt
- 1 (16 oz) carton low-fat cottage cheese
- cooking spray (I use my Misto)
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 medium baking potato, diced
- 1 small Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 handful button mushroom, sliced
- .5 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat eggs and egg whites until fluffy. Add ¾ cup cheddar and ¾ cup Mexican cheese, milk, flour, baking powder, salt and cottage cheese. Heat a large pan over med-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add zucchini through mushrooms and saute 5 minutes. Add vegetable mixture and parsley to egg mixture. Pour mixture into 3qt. casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, the drop the temperature to 350 and continue to bake another 35 minutes. The casserole will be browned on top when ready. Let sit and cool for about 10 minutes before slicing. The leftovers are great re-heated, so this recipe makes for a filling breakfast, or lunch, throughout the week!
- Meatless Mondays: Baked Vegetable Lasagna (centerforlivingpeace.wordpress.com)