August 10, 2012
I absolutely love curry. This chicken salad is super fast and easy to throw together in the evening and then perfect in a pita for lunch the next day. You can make all sorts of alterations by swapping out the flavors of jam; I’ve used guava, mango and apricot. I’ve also subbed chunks of pineapple for the golden raisins and toasted almonds for the cashews. I chose to make a twist on Ina Garten‘s recipe by boiling and shredding my chicken, instead of baking it. Either way, it will turn out great. This is the first chicken salad I’ve made with white wine and it really adds a nice zing, you should give it a try!
Curry Chicken Salad
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup jam or chutney
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup whole roasted, salted cashews
- Whole wheat pitas
Place the chicken breasts in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes, then remove from water and shred with two forks. For the dressing, combine the mayonnaise, wine, chutney, curry powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until smooth. Combine the chicken with enough dressing to moisten well. Add the celery, scallions, and raisins, and mix well. Refrigerate ovenight to allow the flavors to blend. Add the cashews right before serving,stuffed in half a wheat pita with lettuce. Enjoy!
July 9, 2011
This light chicken salad makes a perfect summertime lunch.
Eat alone, or serve on an English Muffin or Sandwich Thins (my latest obsession) with lettuce and tomato. Round out your lunch with a bowl of soup and you have a delicious, healthy and filling lunch.
Zesty Chicken Salad
Serves four: 6 points per serving
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast (I like to boil and shred, then use stock for a soup)
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 small gala apple
- 1/4 cup dried golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Zest from one small lemon
- 1 packet of Splenda
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- English Muffin Mini Pizzas & Pizza Pasta Recipe (crazyadventuresinparenting.com)
- Healthy Recipe: Whole Wheat Nooks and Crannies (fitsugar.com)