July 21, 2013
I don’t know about you but I LOVE breakfast for dinner. There’s just something special about having traditional breakfast fare after the sun goes down…whether it’s a cold bowl of cereal or a tasty quiche like the one listed below.
My mom has been making this recipe on Christmas morning as long as I can remember. However, it’s so delicious, I would eat at any time of day. The recipe is from a 1980’s issue of Southern Living, but it’s one of those classics that I’ll be making forever.
You can, of course, change up the recipe any way you like. I added mushrooms in this version, but crumbled bacon or chopped ham is also tasty. Just don’t swap out the Muenster cheese, it really makes this dish.
Crustless Spinach Quiche
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package, frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
Handful of button mushrooms, sliced
5 eggs, beaten
3 cups shredded Muenster cheese
s&p to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degree. Heat oil in pan and sauté onions about five minutes before adding the spinach and mushrooms. Cook until all excess moisture has evaporated.
In a large bowl, mix eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Add spinach/onion/shroom mixture then pour into greased pie pan. Bake 30 minutes and cool for ten before serving.
My favorite sides to go along with this cheesy goodness are Logan Turnpike Grits (available at Whole Foods or the DeKalb Farmer’s Market if you’re in the Atlanta area) and Fresh Fruit.
What is your favorite breakfast meal to have at night?
Be sure to check out more Breakfast for Dinner recipes from my fellow foodies, below:
Tres Leches Pancakes from La Cocina de Leslie
French Toast Casserole with Sautéed Apples from The Foodie Army Wife
Gluten Free Breakfast Pizza from Blueberries And Blessings
Basic Vegan Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Kale, Bacon, Brown Rice Crustless Quiche from Shockingly Delicious
Bacon Egg and Potato Breakfast Tacos from Cookin’ Mimi
Steak and Egg Tostadas from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Breakfast Bowls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Bacon and Egg Waffles from The Urban Mrs
Homemade Lox from Growing Up Gabel
Seattle Sandwiches (Lox, Shmear, & A Fried Egg) from Juanita’s Cocina
Bacon & Brie Potato Bread Strata with Roasted Pears from Eat, Move, Shine
Saucy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Sliders from Daily Dish Recipes
Greek Frittata from Casa de Crews
Elderberry Flower Pancakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Prosciutto, Gorgonzola and Rosemary Strata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Italian Turkey Meatballs (With a Secret) from What Smells So Good?
Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Pizza from Runner’s Tales
Red Pepper and Egg Galette from Healthy. Delicious.
Waffles – One Plate, Two Ways: Sweet & Savory from Foxes Love Lemons
Steak & Egg Bagel Sandwich from girlichef
Florentine Benedict from Supper for a Steal
Oatmeal Ice Cream from Treats & Trinkets
Banana Waffles with Peanut Butter Syrup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Baked Berry French Toast from Table For Seven
But wait, there’s more!
Open Faced BTC Sandwich from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Crustless Spinach Quiche from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
Bacon ‘n Eggs Bread Pudding from gotta get baked
Denver Breakfast Ring from Curious Cuisiniere
Copycat Japanese McDonald’s from Ninja Baking
One Pan Full English Fry-up from Food Lust People Love
Crumpets with Whipped Orange Honey from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Leek, Mushroom and Gruyère Quiche from Hip Foodie Mom
Joe’s Special, the Original San Francisco Treat from Webicurean
Dark Chocolate, Orange & Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Gluten Free Tomato Basil Crepes form No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
Sour Cherry Crisp from Pies and Plots
Cream Dried Beef and Waffles from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sausage breakfast casserole from My cute bride
Almond Rice Crepes Stuffed With Sweet Potatoes & Peas from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Zucchini Pancakes with Sautéed Tomatoes and Feta from Ruffles & Truffles
Apple, Bacon, and Dubliner Cheese Stuffed French Toast from Neighborfood
Dulce de Leche Stuffed French Toast from Basic N Delicious
Normally it would be very socially unacceptable to have wine with your breakfast, but seeing as this is closer to sunset than sunrise, we say go for it!!!
Hangtown Fry and Wine Pairings with Breakfast for Dinner from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
September 19, 2012
These little apps are great for tailgating or to serve while watching football. The name is especially appropriate for any Georgia Bulldog fans out there :0)
Depending on kick-off time, you can use breakfast sausage (pictured) or hot dogs. If you really want to get crazy, you can add cheese, onions or any others fillings you like. Either way, I promise these little guys will go fast!
Dawgs in a Blanket
- One package breakfast sausage
- Two packages of croissant rolls
Cook the sausages in a pan on the stove until browned. On a cutting board, lay out one uncooked croissant roll, lay a cooked sausage in the middle and roll up. Place the rolled dawgs on a baking sheet and bake according to directions on croissant package. Serve hot!
- College Football Rankings: Georgia Bulldogs Move Up To No. 5 (atlanta.sbnation.com)
August 26, 2012
As I’ve mentioned, I’ve started making lunch for the ladies in the office and I’m a big fan of Meatless Monday. So, when I needed something to pair with a Cream of Tomato Soup, these were the perfect match! I threw together a batch of these ridiculously easy zucchini tots one evening to “test” the recipe to make sure they were good…and, my husband and I devoured the entire pan before they could cool. Needless to say, they are delicious.
Not only are these tots easy to prepare, they can be frozen and reheated in the toaster oven for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack. An added bonus is your family will love them and it’s an tasty way to sneak some veggies into the pickiest of eaters. Feel free to play around with the vegetable and cheese combos. I think carrots, squash or broccoli would be great substitutions as would monterey jack, swiss or muenster.
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 large egg
- ½ onion, diced
- ¼ cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Grate the zucchini over a paper towel. Pat the excess water out of the zucchini once grated. Combine all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Fill the muffin tins with the mixture. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Use a knife to help remove the muffins from the pan and enjoy!
- Spicy Zucchini Pepper Soup (thehealthyflavor.com)
- Classic Zucchini Bread (kitchen-chronicles.com)
- Cheesy Zucchini Rice (todaysmama.com)
Check out more delicious #BackToSchool recipes from the #SundaySupper community listed below:
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Kung Pao Shrimp by Mangoes and Chutney
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Chorizo Tomato Pasta with a Creamy Sauce by Avocado Pesto
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta. Will be dinner this Friday by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about Back to School Meals and ways to make meal time easier!
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’ll be sharing great recipes and tips all afternoon, and we’ll be talking all things Back to School Meals during our chat!
We’d also love to feature your Back to School Recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
August 6, 2012
I’ve started preparing lunch for the ladies in the office, for a nominal fee, and this was a hit last Monday. The egg whites and cottage cheese make it so light and fluffy, but all the protein keeps you satisfied until lunch times A vegetable soup (I made Cream of Tomato) or side salad rounds it out to a light and yummy #MeatlessMonday lunch.
For you Weightwatchers members out there, this recipe slices into 10 servings and at just 3 points a serving, you don’t feel guilty about diving into this healthy twist on a breakfast casserole!
- 1.5 cup egg whites (I used egg white substitute)
- 3 large eggs
- 1.5 cups shredded, reduced-fat cheddar
- 1.5 cups shredded, Mexican-blend cheese
- .5 cup 1% milk
- .5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- .5 tsp salt
- 1 (16 oz) carton low-fat cottage cheese
- cooking spray (I use my Misto)
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 medium baking potato, diced
- 1 small Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 handful button mushroom, sliced
- .5 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat eggs and egg whites until fluffy. Add ¾ cup cheddar and ¾ cup Mexican cheese, milk, flour, baking powder, salt and cottage cheese. Heat a large pan over med-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add zucchini through mushrooms and saute 5 minutes. Add vegetable mixture and parsley to egg mixture. Pour mixture into 3qt. casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, the drop the temperature to 350 and continue to bake another 35 minutes. The casserole will be browned on top when ready. Let sit and cool for about 10 minutes before slicing. The leftovers are great re-heated, so this recipe makes for a filling breakfast, or lunch, throughout the week!
- Meatless Mondays: Baked Vegetable Lasagna (centerforlivingpeace.wordpress.com)