#MeatlessMonday: Fresh Tortellini with Asparagus, Peas & Parsley
October 1, 2012
I’m really loving cooking vegetarian on Mondays. The challenge of eating meat-free one day a week, has me researching tasty entrees I probably wouldn’t try usually. This tortellini dish literally blew us away. I had my vegetarian friend over for dinner and she was also impressed.
I must say, the Georgia Olive Farms Olive Oil really made this dish. It melded beautifully with the sharp bite of fresh garlic, the herbed pasta and the creamy goat cheese. This recipe should probably serve four, but Jim and I ate 3/4 of it between the two of us. The only thing that would have made it any better, would be a fresh loaf of french bread to sop up the delicious sauce left at the bottom of the bowl.
Fresh Tortellini with Asparagus, Peas & Parsley
- 1/3 cup Georgia Olive Farms Olive Oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1 lb. fresh cheese tortellini (I used herbed cheese from the Farmer’s Market)
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed of tough, woody stems, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (leave the tips whole)
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- 2 oz. fresh goat cheese, softened
- black pepper
- parmesan cheese, grated
In a covered pot, bring well-salted water to a boil over high heat. In a large pasta serving bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, cayenne, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook the tortellini, asparagus, and peas in the boiling water until the tortellini is al dente, about 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta and vegetables and toss with the garlic-oil mixture. Add the pine nuts, mint, and goat cheese and stir until the cheese melts into a sauce, adding cooking water as needed to moisten the pasta. Season to taste with salt, pepper and parmesan and serve.
- Harvest Tortellini Soup (heatherlikesfood.com)
- Asparagus and Chickpea Salad (mybestcookbook.wordpress.com)
- Tortellini recipe – Parma foods Fodd n Walk Tours (gustoitalia.wordpress.com)