April 11, 2010
These potatoes make a delicious side dish — especially for cheese lovers.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or ½ tablespoon dried)
- 2 pounds all purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons Emeril’s Creole Essence
- 2 cups grated Gruyere, or Swiss cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to caramelize, about 20 minutes. Add the thyme and garlic and cook 1 minute.
Spread a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the prepared dish, slightly overlapping the slices. Season with Essence, and top with a layer of the onions, add 1 cup of cheese….followed by more potatoes and onions. Add the cream, top with cheese and cover with foil.
Roast until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until golden brown and bubbly, an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.