November 23, 2011
This is by far, the best Chicken Noodle Soup I’ve ever had in my life. Jim thinks so too. I don’t know what I’ve done in the past that’s made mine a bit on the bland side, however, I think the addition of lemon pepper seasoning to the stock is genius. Also, I prefer organic carrots. They are much more tender and sweet and aren’t much more expensive than the “regular” carrots at the Farmer’s Market. Whole wheat egg noodles make it a little healthier, and if I have a lemon around, I’ll squeeze the juice of one into the finished soup at the end. The citrus has special healing powers and if I’m making this for someone under the weather, I feel it helps to get them on the mend that much quicker.
Tip: I like to make a bit extra so I have fresh broth for later in the week. This Thursday, for instance, I’ll use the stock in my Thanksgiving Stuffing.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) fryer chicken, cut up
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced organic
- 2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup cooking sherry
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, optional
- 3/4 cup half and half, optional
- Seasoning salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the stock: add all ingredients to a soup pot. Cook until chicken is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Remove and discard bay leaves and onion. You should have approximately 3 quarts of stock. When chicken is cool enough to touch, pick bones clean, discarding bones, skin, and cartilage. Set chicken aside.
For the soup: bring stock back to a boil, add carrots, and cook for 3 minutes. Add celery and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add egg noodles and cook according to directions on package. When noodles are done, add chicken, mushrooms, parsley, sherry and rosemary. Add Parmesan and cream. Cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning, if needed, by adding seasoning salt and pepper. If using fresh lemon, now’s the time to squeeze in the juice.
- Chicken(less) noodle soup – the veggie version! (dishinaboutnutrition.wordpress.com)