#MeatlessMonday Corn & Black Bean Quesadillas
July 16, 2012
I’ve really gotten into this #Meatless Monday thing once I realized what positive benefits it reaps…both to the individual and the environment. Not to mention, having a meat-free day also saves a few pennies. This veggie quesadilla was a Monday evening hit a few weeks ago. I served it with a Chilled Avocado Soup for a tasty and nurient-packed dinner. You don’t have to stick to the veggies listed, either. I think it would be great with caramelized onions, sliced bell peppers and/or mushrooms.
Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn, then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle evenly with cheese, top with some of the bean mixture and top with fresh cilantro. Place another tortilla on top, cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side. Melt more butter as needed, and repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.